one of the oldest cafes in Vienna, Cafe Imperial Wien is full of traditions
Far-travelled guests will nowhere get closer to the Viennese than at their coffeehouse. In fact, the famous Wiener Melange (blend) also describes the very special mix of coffeehouse visitors. Opened on the occasion of the Universal Exhibition in 1873 and located in the former private residence of the Prince of Württemberg and today’s Hotel Imperial, the Café Imperial Wien soon became the meeting place of Vienna’s society.
No wonder, as apart from guests‘ choice of daily newspapers and magazines, special wishes or orders including the reservation of one’s regular seat are taken care of by the waiter with utmost discretion.
Anton Bruckner, for instance, always ordered an extra serving of Gugelhupf cake.
Peter Altenberg and Hugo Wolf just passed by for coffee, while Sigmund Freund found inspirations for his studies here. Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Franz Werfel, Elias Canetti and Stefan Zweig spent many hours here. And from nearby Musikverein and Vienna State Opera Arnold Schönberg, Alban Berg, Anton Webern, Johannes Brahms and Gustav Mahler and his wife Alma came to the Café.